“An echo is a part of the past that refuses to fade away.”
Elysianna, cleric of Branchala
Second Guild Day of Decadre, 126 HR
Morânia felt as if she were waking from a bad dream. Beneath her palms, she could feel the cold stone floor where she had cautiously settled herself. The floor in the House of Visions … Yes, there she was. It took her a moment to get her bearings. The room around her only slowly shifted back into her focus, as if her mind were struggling to break free from the grip of what she had just seen. What they all had seen. Jana had asked them to come here: Kiyoshi, Naghûl, Lereia, Sgillin and Morânia herself. She hadn’t been able to explain it in detail, but she had had the urgent feeling that the strange house had called to her. Not with words, but with that peculiar sensation she sometimes had just before a vision. As if the building wanted to show her something that had to be seen. And as always when they entered the house, they had felt that strange tension in the air, as if the walls were holding their breath.
Then the vision had come, and Jana had shared it with all of them. It hadn’t felt like a dream, but more real, more tangible; it had forced itself into their mind with oppressive clarity. They had seen Arcadia, the halls of the great Basilica of Iomedae. And within it Sarin, before the angels of his goddess, standing first, on his knees later. They had heard his words, his confession. They had seen Arakiel’s wrath and Karasiel’s regret. They had witnessed the moment when Sarin had lost Iomedae’s grace. Morânia had experienced much before she had become a Chosen of the Prophecy, and even more so afterwards. But this vision had been of such intensity that it still made her shudder. They had not only seen what had happened; they had felt the weight of that moment, the cold certainty of a judgment that could not be undone. Morânia breathed in slowly, then out again. The vision was over. She was back, in this room, among her friends … When she had somewhat composed herself and looked at the others, she could see that Naghûl's complexion was a shade paler than usual, and Lereia had put a hand over her mouth in shock, staring at the floor. Kiyoshi was very quiet, his lips pressed tightly together.
“By all the hells …” Sgillin murmured softly. He, too, seemed genuinely shaken.
After that, silence fell over the room again as they all tried to settle their turbulent thoughts and feelings.
Finally, Jana was the first to speak up. “Can Sarin still be factol if he …” She fell silent and didn’t finish the sentence.
“The office isn’t tied to paladin status,” Morânia explained quietly. “But …”
Sgillin looked up. “But they’ll try to use it against him.”
“Exactly.” Naghûl nodded grimly. “Especially Valiant.”
“Is there anything we can do?” the half-elf asked.
Morânia took a deep breath to compose herself. “He’s been given three tasks. We could try to help him with them.”
“First: remove the mark,” Sgillin listed. “Second: unite the Regalia of Good and third: let a gate town ascend.” He rubbed the back of his neck and shook his head. “Which one sounds easiest?”
“They all sound quite challenging,” Morânia said with a sigh. “But for now … maybe the mark?”
Lereia remained silent. As one of those who had been held captive in the Abyss and freed by the kiss, she surely felt particularly guilty. In Morânia’s eyes, she didn’t need to feel that way, since her captivity had in no way been her fault. It could have happened to any of the Chosen involved in the mission. Red Shroud’s caprice or perhaps just blind chance had been the deciding factor; neither Lereia nor Garush nor Yelmalis had done anything wrong. But of course, this offered no comfort at the moment, and Morânia could understand that all too well.
Kiyoshi, on the other hand, spoke up for the first time, though his voice was lower and less firm than usual. “Forgive my ignorance, honorable companions, but what exactly are the Regalia of Good?”
“They are three very powerful artifacts,” Morânia explained. “A scepter, an orb and a crown that embody and channel the power of good. Each one is remarkable on its own, but together they grant their bearer immense powers. They are also a sort of symbol of prestige for the gods of Good. But as far as I know, their current whereabouts are unknown.”
Naghûl’s expression clearly showed that all sorts of thoughts about how to help Sarin were already crossing his mind. “Jana, you could ask Terrance about this. Your factol has a great deal of knowledge on such topics.” Then he looked over at Lereia. “Or Ambar. Bards know all kinds of legends and stories.”
The young woman nodded silently, but continued to look down at the floor, distraught.
Jana, on the other hand, shot the tiefling a look that was hard to read. “I think we have more important things to do?”
Kiyoshi lifted his head and his orange eyes seemed to glow. The sorceress’ statement was highly explosive, and Morânia was already about to respond, but her husband beat her to it.
“We don’t,” he declared emphatically. “It’s because of us that Sarin is in this situation in the first place. And by that I mean all of us, even if it wasn’t our fault.” He cast a comforting glance at Lereia. “If someone else takes Sarin’s place, that could be very unfavorable, for Sigil, but also for us. Especially if that someone were Valiant. Besides, we owe Sarin our support not only on a political level, but also on a personal one.”
Sgillin nodded. “Yes, I agree. Sarin isn’t my best friend, but he doesn’t deserve this.”
“Exactly,” Lereia agreed. “We have to help him no matter what.”
“That goes without saying,” Morânia added. “We will help him.”
Apparently somewhat appeased by these words, Kiyoshi nodded briefly, and the glow in his eyes subsided.
Jana, on the other hand, hesitated and seemed to struggle briefly with herself. But then she took a deep breath and spoke what was on her mind. “If these Regalia are as powerful as Morânia says, they shouldn’t fall into the hands of a deity.”
“You will allow me to think differently about that,” Morânia replied in a wintery tone of voice. “The gods of Good created them, so they have a right to them.”
Then she cast a worried glance at Kiyoshi. Apparently, everyone - even Sgillin, a member of the Revolutionary League - was ready to support his factol. Everyone except Jana … at least she hadn’t made her position clear yet. It was only too understandable that the young soldier didn’t take this well.
Now he looked around, scrutinizing. “Forgive me, but am I correct in assuming that we all want to help the venerable Factol Sarin-gensui?” Apparently, he wanted to give Jana one last chance.
Morânia nodded resolutely. “As for me, I want to and will definitely help him.”
“Yes, under any circumstances,” Lereia declared as well, her voice firmer now.
“The same goes for me.” Sgillin nodded. “Questions of faction philosophy take second place now.”
Naghûl looked Kiyoshi in the eye and nodded as well. “I will do everything in my power to help Factol Sarin. Consider this a promise.”
Jana slowly looked from one to the other, finally at Kiyoshi, who was scrutinizing her just as seriously. She took a deep breath. “No,” she said then. “At least I need to talk to Terrance about it first. If I’m being honest, I think … Sarin has improved.”
As often as Kiyoshi maintained a stony, impassive expression, now a strong emotion was clearly visible on his features: anger. “Jana,” he said gruffly, and tellingly without adding a -san. “If you do not stop defiling the honor of the venerable Factol Sarin-gensui, I will be forced to challenge you to a fight to the death. You will receive no further warning.”
Damn. This was exactly what Morânia had feared: that this very conflict would arise. Helping Sarin in this matter fundamentally contradicted Jana’s faction philosophy. And Kiyoshi was bound by his honor to accept such behavior under no circumstances.
“Jana, stop it!” Lereia now sounded annoyed as well and glared at the sorceress. “Sarin is deeply unhappy, abandoned and cast out by his goddess. It doesn’t matter now who believes in what. He saved not only my life, but also those of Garush and Yelmalis. We owe him our help.”
Naghûl gave Jana a piercing look that didn't hide his displeasure. “To be honest, I’m in the mood to just walk out and leave you standing here,” he growled.
Jana pressed her lips together, crossed her arms and said nothing more.
Sgillin, on the other hand, raised his hands in a soothing gesture and stepped between the sorceress and Kiyoshi, whose hand was already on the hilt of Hope. “Hey, everyone calm down.”
Morânia eyed the Athar and the Harmonium soldier seriously. Now more than ever, it was necessary for her, as a Cipher, to fulfill her role as a mediator. “Kiyoshi,” she said calmly but firmly. “It is extraordinarily honorable and loyal how steadfastly you stand by Sarin. I think Jana meant that remark positively in a specific Athar way, even if, of course, it didn’t sound that way, especially to your ears.”
“All the worse,” Kiyoshi replied harshly. “Not only does she sully the honor of my factol, but she’s also full of ignorance.”
“Let Jana talk to Terrance first,” Sgillin suggested. “Let’s wait and see what he has to say.”
Lereia nodded. “Factol Terrance would certainly be willing to help Factol Sarin.”
Jana stared at the floor. “Fine by me,” she muttered.
Naghûl was still upset, as Morânia could clearly hear from his tone. “And if you still don’t want to help after that, or in the unlikely case that Factol Terrance forbids it: fine. If you can reconcile it with your conscience, then just don’t help. The rest of us will take action. But at least don’t stand in our way.”
Morânia knew all too well that her husband tended to react emotionally in tense situations. And this situation was more than tense. She couldn’t blame him for taking offense at Jana’s attitude, and besides, he was a Sensate and not a Cipher, and thus not a mediator like herself. The bal’aasi hoped that Factol Terrance would prove more open-minded than Jana. But since he had been willing to accompany Sarin to the meeting with Red Shroud and had actively helped to protect him, Morânia couldn’t imagine that he would refuse his support now. Kiyoshi, at least, had let go of the hilt of Hope and was now content to glare at Jana.
Sgillin looked back and forth between the Harmonium soldier, the Sensate and the Athar, clearly astonished. “I think you’re all far too worked up right now. Let’s consult our pillows, talk to your factols if you want to, and then we’ll meet again tomorrow. I have to say, I’ve had enough for today.”
Morânia nodded. “I agree. Let’s sleep on it, then we can think things through and make plans. And Jana will ask Terrance how she should proceed.”
“I will seek his advice,” the sorceress declared, without looking at any of the others.
Kiyoshi’s expression was now frozen and impassive again. In fact, it was even more expressionless than usual. “I, too, agree with this plan,” he said.
Morânia gave him an encouraging look. “I want to assure you that none of us doubts your factol’s honor.”
“Never,” Lereia affirmed. “We stand by Factol Sarin.”
“Of course,” said Sgillin. “He put his ass on the line for us. Thus he’s held in high regard even by me, an Anarchist.”
Jana remained silent, but Naghûl nodded all the more vigorously. “The fact that they’re so narrow-minded on Arcadia doesn’t shake our attitude towards Factol Sarin.”
Kiyoshi briefly bowed his head in the direction of everyone except Jana. “I thank you for your words. This means a lot to me.”
“By the way, I’m sure,” Naghûl added, “that Factol Erin will offer whatever support she can.”
Lereia nodded. “I think Ambar will see it the same way.”
Only then did Morânia realize that they had overlooked something important in this whole discussion. “Wait a minute,” she said. “Something just occurred to me … Should we tell our factols without Sarin’s approval? I mean, he probably doesn’t even know we’re aware of this … incident.”
“I’m all for it,” Lereia said immediately. “They can only be of help to him, right?”
Morânia swayed her head. “But shouldn’t Sarin decide that himself?”
“But surely there was a reason we saw it?” Lereia insisted. “Nothing happens here by chance.”
“I’d still ask Sarin himself first,” Sgillin agreed with Morânia. “I mean, I’m not accountable to anyone. But my gut says I’d ask him first, before you guys bring the whole thing up with your factols.”
Naghûl nodded. “Yeah, I see it the same way.”
“Phew, well, I …” Lereia sighed. “I don’t know if I can lie. I’m stirred up, and I definitely can’t hide that from Ambar.” She bit her lower lip and looked thoughtfully at the floor. “It might be easier for you … But you all know I don’t lie. It would be very hard for me to lie to my factol, and even more so to my lover. Then I’d rather stay away from the Foundry for the next few days.”
“I’m not going to lie to Terrance either,” Jana interjected.
Sgillin shook his head in confusion. “You don’t have to lie. Just don’t talk about it. That’s not lying.”
“And if Ambar asks me what’s wrong with me?” Lereia replied.
“Then say you’ve experienced something you can’t talk about yet,” the half-elf said. “That’s not a lie either. And if Ambar is as understanding as I’ve always been, he won’t ask you any further.” As he spoke those last words, he winked at Lereia.
The young woman eyed Sgillin thoughtfully, then looked around at the others. Finally, she sighed deeply but nodded. “I’ll try my best. I do agree with you that Sarin absolutely deserves to be asked first.”
Everyone seemed satisfied with that, except Jana, who frowned. “So I shouldn’t talk to Terrance after all?”
“At least not right away,” Morânia replied. “Kiyoshi should speak with Sarin first.”
“Fine by me,” the sorceress replied dismissively. “I’m in no hurry to deal with this issue anyway.”
Out of the corner of her eye, Morânia saw Naghûl take a deep breath to compose himself. Jana’s attitude was clearly getting to him. But then he chose to focus on Kiyoshi instead, placing a reassuring hand on his arm and giving him an encouraging look to assure him of everyone else’s support.
“It’s simply a matter of discretion,” Sgillin said to Jana. “None of your factions are in open hostility with the Harmonium, so nobody has to get back at Sarin. Under Terrance's factolship, not even the Athar.”
Naghûl now looked at Kiyoshi. “My friend, I would gladly take this burden off your shoulders, or at least share it with you. But I think you alone can take on the difficult task of speaking with your factol about this matter.”
“Very well.” Kiyoshi nodded solemnly. “I will ask the honorable Factol Sarin-gensui for an audience. If the kami are favorably inclined towards me, he may bring it up himself. If not, I must bring myself to address it directly, even if it takes great effort on my part.”
“I can understand that very well,” replied Morânia. “I do not envy you this task. But I am nonetheless certain that you will master it excellently.”
Kiyoshi bowed his head slightly, and the bal’aasi knew him well enough by now to recognize in his eyes an expression of gratitude for her encouragement.
Meanwhile, Sgillin headed towards the door. “I’m leaving now. This place makes my stomach turn.”
“You don’t have to tell me twice,” declared Naghûl. “I hate this house.”
“Yes, let’s go,” Morânia agreed with a sigh. “The house has shown us what it wanted to.”
“But at least we now know what’s going on and can try to help,” Lereia said, back on the street. “I’m returning to the Foundry and will avoid any conversation about Sarin.”
Morânia nodded. “And the rest of us will stay out of our factols' way for now - except for Kiyoshi.”
So they parted ways and each of them set off, either home or for their faction headquarters. As they separated, Morânia paused for a moment and watched the others leave. The vision had left them with more than just concern for Sarin. There was now a rift between Jana and Kiyoshi that would not be easy to mend. This posed a serious threat to the group’s cohesion. And on top of that, there was the risk that sooner or later someone would notice that Sarin had lost the grace of his goddess. Sigil never slept, and should Sarin’s fall become known, a personal fate would quickly turn into a political issue. For in a city like Sigil, such an incident rarely remained a private matter, especially not when it involved a factol. Morânia pulled her cloak tighter around her shoulders and finally turned to leave. There was much she needed to think about. The coming days would reveal just how grave these events truly were.
------------------------
played June 3, 2013





Comments
Post a Comment